Monday, November 23, 2009

Business, Labor, and Fantasy Football

Some who have read my posts, have commented to me that they can't tell which side of the isle I hang my hat on.  I hope they will continue to check in, in the hope that sooner or later it will become clear.  To be completely honest, (I hope by now, you understand how important that is to me), if you are having trouble determining which side I'm on, then I'm presenting myself exactly as I intend, and you are reading without bias.  In fact, I'm not on any side, other than that of liberty. Taking sides is what has gotten us into the mess we're in today. Please don't misread that statement to mean I'm a Moderate.  That too, is a part of the problem.  I'm an extremist, of a sort, and very proud to say so.  I fervently believe in the system our Founders established.  My goal is to aid in it's preservation.


I've been trying for some time now, to conger up an analogy that would help simplify the relationship between business, and government, and the average worker.  A way to convey the notion that it's not really US vs. THEM (you decide which side is yours), the way we have been conditioned by the two party system to think of it.

I think I have one...

I don't actually play fantasy football.  I do however listen to SIRIUS NFL RADIO.  There are a couple shows dedicated to fantasy players.  They give advice on who to play and who to sit, on any given Sunday.  It occurs to me that Fantasy Football is a pretty good example of how our "system" works.  I'll not pretend to know anything about the scoring of it.  But there is a dynamic present, that illustrates the relationship between business and labor.  Not the PERCEPTION, but the REALITY.

Let's you and I make a FANTASY TEAM.  A Fantasy team is made up of players, chosen by way of a draft, from every team in the National Football League.  If I understand what I hear correctly, each team has players to fill all the skill positions,  (Quarterback, Running Backs, Receivers) and the Offensive Line is represented as a whole.  Not sure about the Defense, but that doesn't matter to the analogy. Inevitably, there will come a time in the season, when our REAL team, the one we've been rooting for since we were old enough to care, will be playing against a team with players from our fantasy team on their roster.  On the one hand, we want our HOME team to be successful.  We have an allegiance, built over many years.  For some, a deep emotional bond.  But on the other hand, our fantasy team is in second place, with two weeks left in the regular season.  If our player, or players, are successful enough, we can move up in the rankings, but our home team is likely to lose.  So we will root for our HOME TEAM, and hope our players are JUST SUCCESSFUL ENOUGH to get the job done for our fantasy team, while NOT QUITE pulling off victory.

Our current batch of politicians are doing their best to convince us that one side (or the other, depending on who's telling it) is the  source of all our problems.  There ARE some examples where it's true (for both sides), that they have contributed.  But the fact of the matter is, business and labor (business owners and the average worker) have a symbiotic relationship to one another.   One cannot exist without the other.  Business NEEDS to have a reliable source for the energy necessary to manufacture a product, get it to market, and facilitate the sale, thereby making it possible to repeat the process over and over again.  Regardless of what some will tell you, ANY business that exists, does so for one purpose.

To make money!

And THAT IS AN EXCELLENT reason.  Oh they may well be meeting a need in the community, and providing jobs.  Or manufacturing a product that saves lives... or energy... or money... you get the idea.  But, make no mistake.  Whatever the product or service, the goal is profit.  As I said, that is an excellent reason.  Profit is the thing that motivates everything from product innovation to the hiring of more employees.  Employees, who come to work each day for one reason.


To make money!


And THAT is an EXCELLENT reason.  Oh they may indeed love their job.  They may be meeting a need in the community, doing a job that saves lives, and so on...  You see my point?  Take away the potential for profit, and we ALL lose our motivation.


The worker needs business, to provide the means to make money, to go out and buy products from business, that needs people to buy their products so they can buy raw materials and pay employees, to make PRODUCT to SELL to MAKE MONEY...  Neither of these methods for making money is better than the other.  Neither is worse.  In fact, BOTH are NOBLE.  Both offer to exchange a product for cash (the product of the worker being his or her sweat).


The thing that has become a strain on our system, is the one organization in our land that takes an increasing amount of our cash, while offering no product of comparable value...


OUR GOVERNMENT!



While we can point to examples of corporate greed, were some company is charging more for their product than we believe  it to be worth,  we can also site examples of workers who are paid for work they're either not performing, or performing poorly.  BOTH represent GREED. And BOTH are hurting our economy.  But as our Government, at every level, takes more and more of the PROFIT we all work so hard for, both the BUSINESS OWNER, and the WORKERS are losing OUR MOTIVATION!!!


I'll get back to ya...

No comments:

Post a Comment