Wednesday, December 30, 2009

IDEAS vs. RHETORIC

I got this new phone, so I would be able to access and edit my posts anytime I had a free minute.  Turns out a minute isn't nearly enough time, so I'm still finding it difficult to do all I have to do.  The phone is amazing, as so many are, and it didn't take an act of Congress to bring it in to existence. Nothing beats the free market, for stimulating innovation!!!
 


I really have my work cut out for me, trying to haul cars, blog, and conduct a successful Senate campaign.  I hope you are able to overlook the slow pace, and take a measure of comfort in knowing that, if the people of Ohio are GRACIOUS enough to elect me, it will be the least amount of work I have had to do in all my adult life.  So you can be sure I'll not be overwhelmed by the work.  You can also rest assured that, although I've never done anything like it before, I will be up to the task.  I've done many different things over the course of my 45 years, both for money and for fun.  I've never found anything I couldn't do, with a bit of reading and research.  I also have a talent for creative problem solving.  I'm thinking that may come in handy.



Don't get the wrong idea.  I don't think I'm the greatest at anything.  I think I'm good enough to get the job done, and I'm quite tired of settling for the half-hearted efforts of others.  I can't tell you how many times I've hired someone to perform a task, only to wind up doing it again myself.  I know that's probably not the best thing to say, as an aspiring politician.  I'm supposed to be trying to convince you that I AM THEE best person for the job.  I'm trying to give you what you've been missing for SO LONG, you don't even know you should be expecting it... HONESTY.


For too long now, we have told ourselves to just expect our politicians to lie to us.  Therefore, we don't even look for honesty anymore.  We vote for the more charismatic candidate, because it's all we have to go on.  Consequently, we get what we deserve.  If we are content to choose our leaders, based on how well they present a vague, undefined argument, that says, little more than, "something needs to be done",  why should we expect to get leaders who actually have a plan we can take confidence in.  A plan we can get on board with.


Politicians are quite adept at talking a lot without saying ANYTHING at all.  It's time we make them say what they mean, and mean what they say.  Time to expect MORE than just an agreement with us, that there is a problem in WHATEVER area.  But an actual PLAN to solve it.  If we know the plan, we can vote for the plan, charisma be damned.  Maybe THEN, we can get away from the million dollar candidates.  GOOD IDEAS SELL THEMSELVES.  If we insist on hearing good ideas rather than well presented rhetoric, we'll get better candidates, running on smaller budgets.  If we insist on candidates who tell us why we SHOULD choose them, rather than why we SHOULD NOT choose their opponent, we'll get better candidates on smaller budgets.


If we get better candidates running on smaller budgets, they will be beholden to the IDEAS, not the DONORS.  Generally speaking, large contributors typically give to both major parties.  That way who wins is less relevant. They will still have a voice that speaks louder than ours.


I'll get back to ya...


No comments:

Post a Comment