Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dance with the one who brung ya... In the club they brung ya to.

The following is an example of an average working American trying to make the most of his time.  It was originally written as a response to a blog, posted yesterday, by another patriot whose views and opinions I respect.  He was quite excited at the prospect of Josh Mandel running for Ohio's seat in the Senate.  Because the Department of Transportation requires me to get a certain amount of rest, I've decided that anytime I say something I feel is worth repeating, I would do well to copy it and re-post it anywhere I can...

*****************************************
While it may be true that Josh Mandel would make a great challenger for Mr. Brown, as well as a great Senator, should he win, I'm having some difficulty with the pattern of "stepping stone" politics that has become the norm of late.  Mr. Brown would argue that Josh Mandel is "just another ambitious politician", in view of the fact that he signed up for a 4 year term as State Treasurer (less than 1 year ago).

I feel at this point I should mention that I intend to be on the ballot myself, as an independent candidate, partly because I believe that it is an independent who can win in Ohio, mostly because I believe the only way we will ever get away from the "us vs. them" style of politics that is ripping this great nation apart, is to elect men and women based upon their IDEAS, instead of their IDEOLOGIES.

While it is most certainly true that it is conservative ideas that will save our economy, the rhetoric has become so divisive that it has to come from leaders who can speak to BOTH SIDES.  True, the economy is the most pressing of our problems, but the very fabric of our society is being torn apart.  If we could wave a magic wand and solve our debt problem, we would only be on slightly firmer ground with regard to the division of the people.  Which party bears the most responsibility for it is somewhat irrelevant at this point.  The question is "How do we fix it"?  The solution can't be to compromise the truth, so it must be to change the way the truth is presented.

It pains me to hear conservatives talking about any newly elected leader as though they can't wait for him or her to take the next step.  I recall one of the more renown t.v. and talk show hosts asking Scott Brown about a presidential bid, before he had even been sworn into the Senate.   Same for Gov. Christie.  I can't tell you how pleased I am with his response to all the pestering he has endured.  He may make a fine president some day, but he understands the commitment he made.  He has gained a great deal of respect, at least from me, because of it.

No doubt, we need great leaders.  But let us not confuse great leadership with great political skill.  I think we've had enough of that already.



I'll get back to ya...
Scott A. Rupert

No comments:

Post a Comment